Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lynas, Lynas, oh Lynas

Ahhh I'm back! I have something which I wish to get off my chest of, and this concerns the most recent news on the Lynas plant setting up at Kuantan, Malaysia. I think everyone must have heard of oh-so-famous Lynas by now.

First of all, I must say that I am not keen of that idea myself, but I guess a girl like me doesn't have much power to change anything about it. Oh well. But here's my opinion. I think, if people really do want to stop Lynas from setting up here, they need to do more than just changing their profile pictures to banners, posting alien pictures on Facebook, and shouting curse words on posts and statuses, which I really think is very immature. If you are really supportive, why not get the hell out and go for the rally yourself?

It is actually inevitable, that factories would need to be built to accommodate the world's demand on rare earth metals. We are just unlucky enough that our government actually approve of them setting up here, and giving them tax exemptions as well! That's the thing about the government here, they're ....... (fill in the blank yourself.) But as for Lynas, they will need to set up their plant somewhere. If its not Malaysia then Indonesia? Or any other neighboring countries? It is okay if its set up at other countries then?

I saw people commented on how they should build it in the middle of a desert. Seriously? People are everywhere, even in the desert man. There will be workers in the factory too. So its okay if one day, a leak happened, and the people there all die? As long as its not at Malaysia, then its okay for other places, other people, other ecosystems to face the risk of contamination?

Let's just admit that we are all being selfish. If you really want to stop Lynas, why not lower the demand of rare earth metals by stop using or buying smart phones, iPods, laptops, flat screen TVs, hybrid cars, and all other equipment that use rare earth metals? I think at this point, most people would rather die from radiation than to lose all their electronic equipment forever. So, if you want to continue using your smart phones and all, why don't you suck it up when the factory which processes the metals necessary to produce your gadgets is set up, coincidentally at Malaysia?

Don't say stop Lynas, unless its really what you mean. You don't want them to stop productions, you don't want to live without all of your high-end gadgets. I guess, 'let other people die, move Lynas to other countries' or 'change the government', or maybe 'keep Lynas away from Malaysia', would be the more appropriate phrases for you.

Truth be told, I do not favor them setting up in Malaysia. Let's face it, nobody wants to die, or to face higher risks of dying. But I know its inevitable that they'll set up the plant somewhere, and I myself being a smart phone fan, a laptop user, TV user etc, have no rights to oppose them. Because of people like me, that they exist and grow. I will not go about telling everyone how we will turn into aliens and that we should stop Lynas. I will just stay where I am now, not involved, and neutral.

There I said it! :)
Psst, I think its my longest post ever. :O

No comments:

Post a Comment