Sunday, June 12, 2011

Canon S95: First Impressions

Presenting the oh-so-famous Canon Powershot S95!

And guess what, Siao Li gotten one for herself. Hoho!
RM 1400 in total, together with a 8GB memory card and a camera casing.

Yes, she bought that camera just yesterday. After much surveying and researching, which all the bulk was done by me, she finally decided on this one. Its really a good camera, it feels nice to hold it, good controls, lots of effects, good design and the list just goes on.

Took a few test shots using the S95, overall the performance is quite satisfying. Though owning the Lumix LX5, I must say its auto focus speed is still inferior to the LX5's and sometimes I don't get the type of shot that I want it to take. But its really a great camera, having such a small body yet offers good functionality. Also, it has many interesting and fun effects which one can play with. I've included some sample shots below. :)


Miniature effect. I particularly like this one. :)

Colour accent. Highlighting a particular colour while leaving others just black and white. This is interesting. 

Colour switch! Black Coke can hahah!

Fish-eye effect.... which serves as an all time entertainment for Siao Li.

Well it turns people's faces into ugly looking puffy baos. :/

Macro wasn't as good as the LX5's though, couldn't take objects which are real up close.

Auto mode. Tends to be a tad whitish for me, maybe others would prefer this.

Sometimes making people look paler..


Outdoor performance was good.

Better manual control than the LX5's, which is because of the control ring in front of the camera, as well as at the back. Its more convenient as compared to the LX5's rear dial which are quite hard to turn sometimes.

Overall, I find the camera easy to use, a fun camera I must say and very pocketable. But I noticed that the pictures that show up on the LCD of the camera tend to look brighter and more vivid than in my laptop's. Maybe the LCD was set too bright or something. Oh well..

Coming up: Side by side comparison with the Lumix LX5. Stay tuned. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment